Home

Matheus Tavares

15 May 2019

Warming Up

It’s been a little over a week since GSoC’s projects were announced. During this initial time I’ve been working mainly on two things:

  1. Setting up this webpage where I’ll weekly post updates on my project.
  2. A patch on Git’s interactive rebase (git rebase -i). This is not directly related to my GSoC project, but it’s something I’ve been wanting to do for a while now. And it’s a good warmup :) You can see the result here.

As there isn’t much to talk about the first item, let’s explore the second a little.

Context

When you run an interactive rebase, Git opens a todo list containing the commits to be rebased. It’s them possible to choose between a variety of commands to be performed for each commit on the list.

Among the available commands we have reword, which opens an editor to amend the commit’s message and squash, which joins the commit with the previous one, also opening the editor for message editing.

The Patch

The idea behind this patch is to display a commit diff in the editor opened during a reword or squash to help users better describe the changes included in each commit. This was achieved throught the addition of a new configuration option called rebase.showDiffOnCommit. If set to true it will make the interactive rebase backend use the -v option when invoking git commit, which, in turn, will display the diff. This patch also includes some tests for this new feature and documentation about the added configuration.

Difficulties

What took me longer in this patch was understanding the code and planning. For example, what would be the best way to expose the new feature to the users: throught a CLI option or a configuration entry? In this case, I ended up implementing both but choosing to keep just the latter as it seemed more “natural”.

Another task that required me some time was to add tests. Besides lib-rebase’s set_fake_editor() function, little did I know about how to fake editors on Git tests. Also, it was trick to think how to set one fake editor to automatically perform the two required tasks:

  1. replace some pick’s for reword’s and squash’s at the TODO list when Git firstly invoked the editor;
  2. Check for the diff when it opened the editor for a second time, with the commit message.

But reading other test files and the implementation of set_fake_editor() I managed to understand what was needed. In the end, it was a very nice learning experience.

Next steps

My plan for the “next sprint”, is to investigate some more function call chains throught the pack access code and start working on sha1-file.c, where some of these functions reside. In my initial schedule, I designated these first weeks of community bonding to begin protecting sha1-file.c’s global states, starting by the object cache. But, even though I’ve been thinking about it, I’m not sure yet what is the best way to do it. So I’ll probably invest some more time, in the next week, reading the code and investigating.

Til next time,
Matheus

Matheus Tavares